Rice Krispie Treats are one of my family’s favorite treats besides Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies of course. So just like many of my cookie recipes, I am always ‘playing around with’ the basic rice krispie treat recipe to make all types of fun holiday/seasonal treats. One recipe that I made for my elementary students a few times a year were Alphabet Cereal Bars. They were perfect for back to school treats, celebrating when they knew all their letters, as well as end of the year party treats. My students always loved searching for the letters of their names in their treats or seeing what other words they might be able to find.
Now that I have my own boys and do not have my own classroom at this time, these have become a favorite to make at home too. Big Brother who has been learning his letters loves to name all the letters we can find on his treat, while Little Brother could care less, but LOVES to eat them!
Alphabet Cereal Bars are a PERFECT lunch box surprise for your kids as they head back to school this year, or an after school treat! I love the fruitiness of the Fruity Pebbles combined with the extra crunchiness of the Alphabets cereal; a perfect combo if you ask anyone in our house!
- 1/2 cup Margarine
- 1 Bag of Mini Marshmallows
- 3 cups Fruity Pebbles Cereal
- 3 cups Alphabets Cereal
- 2 tsp Vanilla
1. Grease a 9×13 pan with cooking spray.
2. Begin by melting the margarine in a large pot on the stove.
2. Next add in the marshmallows, allowing them to melt into the butter. Finally add vanilla; combine well.
3. Remove pot from stove and stir in both cereals into the marshmallow mixture.
4. Using a non-stick spatula pour cereal mixture into your greased pan. Press cereal down into the pan with spatula.
5. Allow to cool at room temperature before cutting into squares.
Store in an air tight container to keep fresh.
Check out some of our other favorite After School Snacks: