I recently found a recipe for a DIY carpet cleaner on Pinterest from Chris at Freckled Face Girl, and thought I’d give it a try. We have a few ‘toddler’ stains around our home that we need to clean before moving out when our new house is ready in December. I was thrilled, as this recipe worked fabulously! My husband was amazed and even asked to try… something I definitely don’t mind sharing! I must admit though, this cleaning process was fun end of the cleaning spectrum because we had such great results! You MUST try it!
Our stairs are one of those high traffic areas that really needed cleaning, however I really didn’t want to rent a steam cleaner just for a few spots and our stairs. The AMAZING DIY Carpet Cleaner did just that… an amazing job! I am thrilled at how much cleaner our stairs look, and am even more excited to be able to have this secret in my tool belt for keeping our carpet clean in our new home.
- 1 cup ammonia
- 1 cup water
- white towel(s)
1. Begin by combining the ammonia and water in a spray bottle.
2. Heat up your iron to the highest temperature, and collect a white towel(s). You may need more than one as you don’t want to iron over the dirty spots on the towel or they will transfer to your iron surface.
For Carpet Stains:
3. Spray the mixture directly on the spot from a close proximity. Use a generous amount.
4. Place your white towel over the stain.
5. Iron over the stain using the steam feature if you have one. Continue ironing over the towel covered stain until the iron stops making steam, or until the stain is gone.
6. For heavy stains, you may need to remove the iron, scrub the spot with the towel, and then repeat.
3. Spray the mixture directly on one stair at a time. Spray stains or spots from a close proximity and then lightly spray the rest of the stair.
4. Place a white towel over the stair.
5. Iron over the stains first using the steam feature if you have one. Next, continue ironing over the towel-covered stair until the iron stops making steam.
6. Remove the iron and towel. Rub the towel over the entire stair in an up and down motion while the carpet and towel are still warm.
7. If you still have stains, refer the above section on how to spot treat the stains.
8. Repeat on each step.