Ripe bananas again!? Banana Crumb-Topped Muffins are one of our favorite recipes to make when we seeing a few bananas beginning to brown. They are the perfect mix between banana bread and coffee cake; both of which are very popular around our home! I will occasionally replace the flour with a whole wheat flour as well to make them a little healthier.
Little Brother refers to these as our ‘Bo-bana Mufmans’ I admit that sometimes I make them just to hear him call them by name. As a former E.S.L teacher I was sure I would always being correct my children’s speech, but there are just somethings that MUST go untouched, and ‘bo-bana mufmans’ is definitely one of those!
- 1 ½ cup Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/3 cup Butter; melted
- 3 Large Ripe Bananas
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar; packed
- 2 TBSP Flour
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon
- 1 TBSP Butter; cold
- ¼ cup Walnuts (or pecans); finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. and grease muffin tins or fill with cupcake/muffin paper liners.
2. In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients except sugar.
3. In another bowl combine the bananas, sugar, egg, and melted butter. Mix well. Stir in the dry ingredients.
4. For the topping, combine brown sugar, 1 TBSP of cold butter, 2 TBSP of flour, cinnamon, and walnuts.
5. Fill the muffin cups 3/4 full then sprinkle the topping mixture on each. (Double topping if desired.)
6. Bake 20 minutes of until the muffins are done in the center.