The perfect compliment to a cup of your morning or afternoon coffee, Caramel Apple Crumb Loaf is full of fresh Fall flavors! One of my favorite things to bake in the Fall are fresh breads. They are the perfect gift for just about anyone and a perfect breakfast idea to have handy for out-of-town visitors. This year I came across an old favorite that I have not made for a very long time; apple bread. Inspired by Kelly from The Semi-Homemade Mom’s fantastic Apple Streusel Bread shared in our Apple Iron Chef Mom contest earlier in the Fall, I set out to add in a few more Fall flavors!
- 1 cup margaine, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups peeled and diced apples (combine your favorite ‘apple pie’ apples; sweet and tangy)
- Caramel sauce
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 4 Tbsp brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp cold margarine
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat your bread pan with nonstick spray and a light coating of flour.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until creamy. In a separate bowl, dissolve the baking soda into the lemon juice. Mixture should foam. Once dissolved, add the baking soda mixture, eggs and vanilla to the butter and beat to combine.
3. Add the flour and salt until a thick batter has formed. Stir in the diced apples by hand.
4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the crumb ingredients until mixture forms coarse crumbs. Set aside.
5. Spread 1/2 of the batter in the bottom of the bread pan. Sprinkle 1/2 of the crumb mixture and drizzle a generous amount of caramel on top. Repeat with another layer of each batter, crumb and caramel.
6. Bake for about 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out mostly clean. Allow to cool for about 15-20 minutes, then remove from the pan and allow it to finish cooling a wire rack.
7.Store at room temperature in an airtight container.