My husband and I love entertaining and having friends and family over. We have been doing from the moment we got married and shared our first little apartment together. From our youth group kids, to single friends, to other married couples with kids, we are always having people into our home for dinner. And I admit that sometimes my spontaneous meals are some of the best! Our boys are now on board and inviting people over as well; since they’ve begun inviting literally everyone into our home, we’ve had to make a rule that they can’t invite someone unless they ask us first. Good idea right!?
This Fall we’ve enjoyed getting to know an amazing older couple in our church who also has a heart for hospitality. They actually ran a Guest House in the Middle East for missionaries and other international workers to retreat at; how awesome is that!? We have loved spending time with them, asking them questions, and hearing some amazing stories. This past weekend, we enjoyed a ‘potluck’ dinner at their house and I brought along this delicious lightened Chicken Noodle Casserole; which I think is even better without all those typical casserole creams. It is the perfect side dish for a get together and a dish that kids will love! Chicken Noodle Casserole is a true comfort food and perfect for those cool Fall-Winter evenings!
- 2 Chicken Breasts, chopped and cooked (or 2 cups of rotisserie chicken from the store)
- 12 oz. Wide Egg Noodles
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 3 tablespoons Flour
- 1 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 1/2 cup Chicken Broth
- 1/2 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 of a small Onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Garlic, minced
- 3 drops of Hot Sauce (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- Fresh Parsley, chopped
For the topping:
- 2 tablespoons Country Crock Margarine; melted
- 1/3 cup Breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
1.Cook pasta according to package directions, set aside.
2. In a large skillet, melt margarine and add onion and garlic. Cook until onions are soft.
3. Add flour and whisk together and let it lightly brown.
4. Slowly add the milk and chicken broth. Cook on medium low until bubbling and the mixture starts to thicken. Remove from heat.
5. Combine, mixture, chicken, cheese, and noodles in a large casserole dish; mix together well.
6. In a small bowl, combine the margarine, breadcrumbs, and parmesan cheese. Stir to create a crumble. Sprinkle over noodles.
7. Cook at 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until the sides are bubbling and the breadcrumbs are golden brown. Top with fresh parsley.
Country Crock Spread has 0g trans fat per serving, contains no partially hydrogenated oils, has no cholesterol has 70% less fat than butter per serving and 30% fewer calories than butter per serving!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.