Back-to-School time is an exciting time around our house! My husband getting his classroom set up and beginning his coaching season for volleyball, myself getting everything set to go back to work at school, and the boys heading back to their babysitters part-time. I love working only part-time at our school as the High School’s College Advisor and taking a break from the craziness of having my own primary classroom while our boys are young. Although, I admit I do go through a little withdraw when browsing through the back-to-school aisles at the stores. The smell of new crayons has to be one of my favorite smells; and then of course there’s the smell new notebooks, and the smell of cheap plastic supply boxes and backpacks. My nose confirms that I was meant to be a teacher, as the smells of back-to-school get me anxious every year!
Our boys attend a bilingual in-home childcare nearby while I’m working and they absolutely love their teachers! They learn and play in Spanish while I’m working and love every minute of it, which as many working moms will agree is an absolute blessing! The three ladies who are their teachers are fantastic with the boys and are very much loved by our family. Throughout the year we try to do special things for them as tokens of appreciate for all their love, patience, and dedication to our boys.
Colored Pencil Flower Vases are a fun project our boys made for their teachers. This is a fun, easy project that your kids can help make for their teachers this Summer as well. They can then deliver them on back-to-school/meet the teacher night or even take them to their new teachers on the first day of school! Show your child’s teacher that you appreciate them and look forward to a great year partnering with them; there is no greater gift to your child’s teacher than showing you support them!
- Tin Can
- Tacky Glue
- Large box(es) of Colored Pencils
- 1 Rubber band
- Letter Stickers for decorating (optional)
1. Before you begin, you must decide if you want the teacher to be able to reuse the colored pencils or not. If not, you will glue them around the tin can, if you want them to be re-useable, you will need to work more carefully and just rubber band them around the tin can.
2. Either way, leave the rubber band around the colored pencils and the can to hold the pencils in place. Cover the rubber band with a ribbon, tie, and secure tightly.
3. If you if you chose to glue the colored pencils in place, you may also want to turn the vase upside down and squeeze a little glue around the bottom.
4. Add letter stickers of the teacher’s name, room number, etc. to the front of the vase.
5. Fill the tin can 3/4 full and add fresh flowers.
There’s even more Great News! Coupons.com is partnering with us to giveaway a $200 Giftcard to JoAnn Fabrics or Home Depot (winner’s choice)! Enter Now to Win! a Rafflecopter giveaway
Check out these other School-themed crafts: