I grew up in Ohio loving Cincinnati’s Skyline Chili! It was one of my favorite meals! When my husband and I first got married, and were living in California, my mom sent me a package with a few cans of Skyline Chili in it. I was thrilled and couldn’t wait for my husband to try it. He loved it, and it soon became a common request! Until… I discovered a few recipes that my husband and I worked to combine and perfect over the years, for the most PERFECT Copycat Cincinnati’s Skyline Chili Recipe!
I have loved making this for friends and family over the past few years and introducing them to this childhood favorite. Everyone is shocked by the ingredient list but LOVES the flavor! I can’t even count the number of people who have asked me for this recipe over the years; so I decided to share it with you BEFORE you have to ask!
- 1 qt water
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 (8 oz) cans of tomato soup
- 7 whole allspice or 1 tsp. of ground
- 1 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2-4 tbsp. chili powder (2 for more mild, 3 for spice, 4 for a kick)
- 1/2 oz. unsweetened chocolate (baker’s bar)
- 2 lbs. ground beef, crumbled
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 7 whole cloves
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- spaghetti noodles
- shredded cheese
1. Begin by adding the ground beef to water in a 4 quart or larger pot. Stir until beef separates to a fine texture. Boil slowly for 30 minutes.
2. Next, add all other ingredients. Stir to blend, bringing to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 3 hours. Pot may be covered the last hour after the desired consistency is reached.
3. Chili should be refrigerated for either an hour or even overnight (if possible) to allow all the fat to settle on the top to be lifted before reheating.
4. Serve over spaghetti with oyster crackers. True Skyline Chili is served 3 way, 4 way, or 5 way.
3 way: spaghetti, chili sauce, finely grated cheddar cheese
4 way: spaghetti, chili sauce, finely grated cheddar cheese, onions
5 way: spaghetti, chili sauce, finely grated cheddar cheese, onions, beans