I am a huge fans of soups with a crunch! My favorite soups typically have some type of chips either in them on the side. If not chips, then definitely rice! I love this Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup because it has the perfect amount of yummy chicken, vegetables, great flavor, and a creamy broth. The broth is just right… not too rich, and not to bland!
Soups are popular around our house especially when everyone gets to garnish their own with their own favorite toppings! Our boys can be picky at times but they know that the soup base if a non-negotiable but what they add gets to be their choice. We’ve found this to be a great way to have win-win situations around our dinner table as of lately!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Chicken Breasts, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Taco Seasoning
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1 Red Pepper, diced
- 1 Yellow Pepper, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic; minced
- 2 teaspoons Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- Salt and Pepper
- 3 Tablespoons Flour
- 32-ounces Chicken Stock or Broth
- 2 cups Half-and-Half
- 1 can Black Beans, drained
- 1 can Rotel, mild
- 1 cup of Corn (canned or frozen)
- 1/2 cup Fresh Cilantro
- Tortilla Chips
- Shredded Cheese (I’m hooked on Sharp Cheddar so that’s what is in the picture.)
- Sour Cream
- Avocado slices
- Fresh Lime slices
1. Begin by heating the olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven on medium-high heat.
2. Combine chopped uncooked chicken and taco seasoning to the pan. Set aside.
3. Next, add the butter to the empty pot and melt. Stir in onion, peppers, and garlic and cook for about 10 minutes; until soft.
4. Stir in spices and flour; cook for a few additional minutes. Add the broth and half-and-half; bringing it to a boil.
5. Reduce heat to low, add in Rotel, beans, corn, and cooked chicken from earlier.
6. Simmer on low for 30 minutes.
Place crushed tortilla chips in the bottom your bowl, cover with soup, and top with cheese and fresh lime! Garnish soup with your favorite toppings: sour cream, avocado, pico de gallo, etc.