This is the BEST Homemade Albondigas Soup, and one of my all time favorite soups! It’s a light recipe but full of warmth for those cold wintery days. This has been one of those recipes that I have ‘collected pieces of ‘ over the years because everyone I ask can only rattle it off from their head; no measurements. That does not help a girl like me who had never made the soup on my own. Now, after making this soup, I admit that I am one of those ‘add a little more of this, and maybe a little more of that’. So today, I took my time, to write out the recipe for you. I can’t wait for you to try it… it’s a crowd pleaser that your whole family will love and be asking for more!
- 1 lb of ground beef (lean)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup long grain rice
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaf, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
8 cups chicken broth (I typically use nonfat and low sodium)
1/2 cup onion, diced
3 stalks celery, cut in chunks
- 2 medium potatoes, cut in chunks
- 2-3 medium carrots, cut in chunks
- 2 cups Classico Crushed Tomatoes*
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 cup cilantro
- Warm tortillas
3. Combine chicken broth, onion, celery, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes and their liquid, cumin, oregano and cilantro leaves in a large pot.4. Bring to broil, and reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Gently add the meatballs into the soup (Make sure the soup is slightly boiling, because the meatballs need to be cooked quickly).
6. Return to simmer and cook another 30 minutes.
7. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.