As you might be able to tell by now we love marshmallow-y cereal treats as you will see here, here, here, here, or here) ! When I was a classroom teacher I was always making these types of treats for my students in seasonal colors and shapes; they loved them. Now I am so excited to be making them for my own kids; and my husband and I of course! :)
One of my top reasons for loving these types of delicious cereal treats is that my boys (even at a very young age) can help me make them! It’s a fun treat to make together and it always makes me smile to see the shapes they come up. Valentine Heart Treats are a perfect snack for your children to make and take to a Valentine’s Day party!
This recipe is originally an absolute favorite of my husband and his family at Christmas time known as Christmas Wreath Cookies. (Although green and shaped as Christmas wreaths.) I fell in love with using corn flake cereal and almond extract with the ‘typically’ rice krispie treat recipe my first Christmas with my husband’s family and have been ‘playing’ around with the recipe ever since!
1 bag Mini Marshmallows
1/2 cup Margarine
6 cups of Corn Flakes
Red Food Coloring
1 teaspoon Almond Extract
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Red Hot Candies (optional)
1. Melt margarine and marshmallows in a large pot.
2. Next, stir in almond extract and red food coloring (to desired hue).
3. Remove from heat and slowly add in Corn Flakes while stirring.
4. Next, lay out sheets of wax paper and drop the cereal treat out in large spoonfuls.
5. Finally, shape the hearts and add decorating candies (if desired).