January and February always seem extra dark and gloomy to me after everyone takes down all their Christmas decorations and lights. This year I decided to fight the ‘January gloom’ by finishing up my Valentine Wreath a little early. My husband insists that I can’t hang it permanently on the door until February 1st, but we’ll see…
This year I was completely inspired by The Idea Room’s Heart Wreath, that I had to make one for our new front door! I love it and couldn’t be happier with how it turned out! Now our door looks a little cozier and more inviting during this cold and rainy winter weather.
- 10-12 5X7 Red Sheets of Felt
- Straight pins
- Styrofoam Heart (hard to find at craft stores, but Hobby Lobby had 3 sizes!)
- 3 in. circumference round stencil or cup
- Small piece of ribbon (used for hanging the wreath)
(I used a cup to draw the circles. I couldn’t get my Silhouette to cut the felt to my satisfaction, but I read after-the-fact that if you add backing to the felt, that it will cut much easier. If anyone tries this please let me know if it works!)
1. Trace and cut MANY (I lost count) 3 in. circles.
2. Fold the circles in half, then in half again.
3. Place the straight pin through all the layers of felt toward the point and then into the styrofoam. Continue doing this until your wreath is completely covered! You do not need to cover the backside as you will not see it when the wreath is hanging.
4. Turn your wreath over and secure the ends of the ribbon with another pin. (I used actual wreath pins for the ribbon to provide extra strength for hanging on our front door.)