One of our favorite restaurants has to be Chipotle! My husband and I love their carnitas and barbacoa meats and there is just something about their Cilantro Lime Rice in a tortilla loaded with other deliciousness that makes it all complete!
I recently learned the ‘secret’ behind AMAZING Cilantro Lime Rice that I think gives it the BEST flavor hands down! For the best flavor, you actually create a cilantro lime marinade for the rice giving it that extra punch of flavor; it’s absolutely delicious! While Chipotle uses basmati rice you could also use this same recipe with your traditional white or brown rice as well! This has become one of my favorite go-to recipe for using up our fresh cilantro before the sun comes this Summer and scorches it all!
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 2 cup white rice (Chipotle Restaurants use Basmati Rice)
- 4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Limes (large)
1. In a heavy saucepan, heat 1 TBSP oil or butter over low heat, stirring occasionally until melted.
2. Add rice and juice from 1 lime, stir for 1 minute. Add water and salt, bring to a full rolling boil.
3. At boiling, cover, turn down to simmer over low heat until rice is tender and the water is absorbed; about 25 minutes.
4. In a small dish combine the juice from the other lime, 1 TBSP of olive oil, and the chopped cilantro. Stir and allow to flavors to blend while rice is cooking. (For extra flavor make this mixture a few hours prior!)
5. Fluff rice with a fork and add in the cilantro oil mixture. Garnish with a sprig of fresh cilantro.
Recipe adapted from Food.com
Cilantro Lime Rice is a perfect side dish for:
Looking for an even healthier version? Check out Joyful Healthy Eats’ version of Cilantro Lime Rice!