Babysitters, co-workers, neighbors, friends, family; here is a gift idea that is PERFECT for everyone and easy to make and personalize! DIY Drink Coasters make a special gift for just about anyone this Holiday season and are a perfect project to include your children on helping you make them!
I could spend hours day-dreaming in the craft paper aisle at the craft store. (Ask my husband…oops!) So, when I found the most beautiful of Christmas paper AND that they sell GLITTER Mod Podge I got a little giddy… and decided to give these coasters a whirl. I initially saw an idea similar to this at a craft show earlier this season, but didn’t buy any because I couldn’t decide which ones I liked best! Now, I can make my own… if I can decide on the paper to use… Anyone else struggle with indecisiveness at times!?!
- Glitter Mod Podge
- Ceramic Tiles (purchased at Home Depot; around $0.12 per tile)
- Scrapbook paper
- Small cushion stickers (for the bottoms)
1. Trace or cut the size of the tile out of scrapbook paper. (I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut them with ease. You can also just simply trace the size onto the back of the paper and cut out the squares.)
2. Paint a thin layer of Mod Podge on the top of the tiles then press the paper on top of it to dry.
3. When the paper is completely dry, sand the ends of the paper to smooth them down onto the tile. You can sand further into the edges of the tiles also to create a more rustic/weathered look as well.
4. Paint a thin (yet complete) coating of Mod Podge over the paper again, being sure to secure the ends down with the Mod Podge.
5. Allow them to dry completely, then re-sand or re-coat if needed. The glitter Mod Podge can be substituted for a matte or a gloss Mod Podge if you prefer, but I loved the glittery look it gave the coasters for the Holidays!
Suggestions: I’ve also seen people use pages of scripture, a program from a special event, pictures, etc to create DIY Drink Coasters as well! The options are endless and make this an easy craft to personalize for loved ones!