The first day of school is just around the corner! Whether it will be your child’s first day of preschool, kindergarten, middle school, or even high school a new year is a clean slate; a perfect opportunity to start afresh with new goals for a new year! Here is a fun, creative recipe craft to make with your children for their new teacher! Create something fun with your child for them to look forward to giving their teacher on day one to remind them that they are starting literally with a CLEAN SLATE!
- Large Dark Chocolate Bar
- White Chocolate Melting Disks or White Chocolate Chips
- 2-3 Plastic Straws (without the ridged bendable section)
- Powdered Sugar
- Other Colored Candy Disks for Decorating (optional)
- Piping Bags or Small Ziplock baggies
- Wooden Skewer or long toothpick
- Small Brush (any type of basic baking brush is fine)
- Plastic Gift Bag & Ribbon
1. Melt the white chocolate/white candy disks in a small bowl in the microwave. Melt slowly 15-30 seconds at a time, stir, repeat until completely melted.
2. Stick the straw in a small bowl and slowly suck the chocolate 3/4 of the way up the straw. Place the straws in the freezer for 5-10 minutes.
3. Remove the straws and poke the skewer through the straw and push the chocolate out. If the chocolate will not slide out, replace in freezer for a few more minutes. Note: I was amazed at easy it was to remove the chocolate from the straws!
4. Break the white chocolate ‘chalk’ into smaller pieces. Allow the chalk to reach room temperature. Use a few pieces to write a message on the backside of the large dark chocolate bar. (You may need to use several pieces to write your message.) Push firm but not too firm or you may break the chocolate bar.
5. When your message is complete, sprinkle powdered sugar over it and use your small brush to dust it off. This creates the “well-used” chalkboard look.
6. Optional: Decorate with melted colored candy disks to add embellishments, borders, etc.
7. Finally, wrap your chalkboard and a few pieces of chalk in a small plastic gift bag. Your teacher, principal, tutor, teacher’s aid is certain to love this special and creative gift!
Original Recipe from: Beth@Hungry Happenings