I have been wanting to create Fall Pumpkin Flower Planters for a few years now. I actually made one last year with a real pumpkin but the warm weather had it moldy and warped in a few days… I tossed it in the garbage and gave up on the idea. I decided that was a project those living in places where Fall weather was much cooler; not Texas! Until…
A few weeks ago I received a special package from Michael’s Craft Stores full of their NEW Pumpkins and a Hot Carving Knife. My husband was pretty excited to put the hot knife to work and we soon created those Fall Pumpkin Flower Planters I had been wanting to make for a few years! They turned out absolutely perfect! Michael’s new pumpkins were exactly what I had needed to get that ‘real pumpkin look’ without the weathering affects. I also love that we were able to carve water drainage holes into the bottoms of the pumpkins for best drainage. The best part is that I can not reuse them year after year!
- Michael’s New Customizable Pumpkins (various sizes available)
- Hot Carving Knife
- Potting Soil
1. Preheat your hot carving knife.
2. When your knife it ready, cut off the tops of the pumpkins.
3. Cut three small drainage holes in the bottom of each pumpkin.
4. Fill each pumpkin 3/4 full of potting soil.
5. Plant mums in each pumpkin and then press additional potting soil around the edges to secure plant into the pumpkin.
6. Water according to the directions on your mums.
Check out these FUN Fall Events at your local Michael’s Craft Stores:
Disclosure: I received free products from Michael’s Craft Stores in exchange for participating in their Fall Pumpkin Projects event.