This Week’s Topic: Solid Foundations
This Week’s Goal: Understand the importance of a solid foundation.
This Week’s Bible Reference: Luke 6:46-49
Younger Children: Use blocks or Legos to build a few different towers; be sure to have one with a small (weaker) base and one with a large (stronger) base.
Older Children/Teenagers: Have a contest to see who can build the largest/tallest house of playing cards.
Please feel free to do what best fits your family! (See the Intro. to Family Devotions)
Song Suggestions (based on the topic): ‘The Wise Man Built his House Upon the Rock’ (Children’s song), ‘Solid Rock On Christ the Solid Rock‘ (Hymn), ‘Where I Stand’ (praise song- Craig Bidondo)
*Note: This parable is not found in all Children’s Bibles; telling the story with the activity above may help younger children to understand it best.
Luke 6:46-49 (New Living Translation) Feel free to use a different translation.
46) “So why do you keep calling me ‘Lord, Lord!’ when you don’t do what I say? 47) I will show you what it’s like when someone comes to me, listens to my teaching, and then follows it. 48)It is like a person building a house who digs deep and lays the foundation on solid rock. When the floodwaters rise and break against that house, it stands firm because it is well-built. 49) But anyone who hears and doesn’t obey is like a person who builds a house without a foundation. When the floods sweep down against that house, it will collapse into a heap of ruins.”
Family Discussion Questions: (*questions geared towards younger children)
- *Which tower was stronger? Why? (Demonstrate during discussion if needed)
- *Who is the strongest base we can have for our lives? Who can always be our helper?
- *If we want God to be our base (foundation) what do we need to do?
- Which card house was the strongest? Why?
- How does the base of the card house compare with our lives?
- What does a solid foundation of a house (or other building) all for the builder to do?
- What importance does Jesus give to foundations in our lives?
- According to Jesus what does a firm foundation for our lives look like (How do you build one)? What does that look like in our lives?
- How does a strong foundation in our lives bring glory to God?
This is a great and easy format to follow as a family:
A-Adoration: What things did you learn about God today? Thank God for those things.
C-Confession: Confess your sins to each other and God; it is helpful if a parent takes the lead in this activity.
T-Thanksgiving: Thank God for what He has done in your lives this week and that He wants to be our foundation!
S-Supplication: God loves us and loves to bless us. Tell God the desires of your heart.
Extension Activity/Discussion Starters for the Week:
- Rebuild a house of cards (or a tower for younger children). Ask them if the built it differently this time? Why?
- Discuss what types of things people use as a foundation for their lives and what happens when that foundation falls apart?
- Discuss if there are things in your lives that you put in place of God as a foundation.
- Build a tower out of something else fun (leftovers at dinner, snacks, etc.) Make it into a fun, silly challenge!